Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Daniel 100% all boy!

I finally became pregnant after many years of waiting.  The anticipation, oh the excitement, and the huge body I was toting around.  There were so many things going on, and I was still working a 60 hour week at Dixie College in southern Utah.  My husband decided that we were going to have a girl, he figured that girls were easier, he had it all planned out.  And, he was used to getting his way, so I went with that.

I went to the doctors office for my ultrasound.  It was all so very exciting, after the first one declaring that I definately was pregnant.  I could see the tiny body floating around in that little sack....pretty cool.  So, this time I was extremely excited to see the outcome of the baby, what would she look like, how was everything coming along.  The baby's movement was all over, I wasn't getting much sleep, things were pretty tight in there, with much kicking and rumblings from within.  The doctor put on that cold slimy gel and got the thing proding all over my now HUGE bellly.  He declared that he was pretty sure 95% that I was definately having a girl.  I was so excited,  I had my ultra sound posted on the fridge, I was now one of the "In Utah Crowd".  I was producing an offspring.  I couldn't be happier.  I would be able to now stand proudly for my Mother's Day flower in church that next year.

The name was picked:  Sage  Anna  Snarr.  An herb for my husband, he was a health food nut!  And the Anna for me, the name Agnes Anne, and Agnes Anna had been rotated for generation thru my family on my Mom's side.  She being the Last Agnes Anne, and then LUCKILY I was named Cindy Anne.  Mom always hated the Agnes name, her family called her Sis, so thank heavens I got a Cindy instead.  So, with the name Sage....the Anna just seemed to fit!

I had made little girlie things, I had purchased the diapers, the lotions, all the potions one needs to make a baby happy.  I even had little toys saved from my youthful hope chest.  I was ready to go.  I had a bag packed and ready for the hospital too, with all the things I thought I would need.

I was working with the senior citizen group called "elderhostel"...now called "road scholars".  They came from all over the country and stayed for a week, learned about the history of southern utah, the geology of Zion National Park and when we added golf, we couldn't keep them away.  So, they having been through the baby raising years.  Many had opinions and helpful hints.  There were a few baby doctors who had sized me up and pronounced that I was having a girl also.  One even read me by the way I was carrying my load....and said girl.  And the Dr. said it was definately a girl's rapid heart beat.

Well, I had worked the whole week, got to Friday and went home to take a nap, I was getting pretty tired and they scheduled me so I could do that.  Soon, as I woke up and sat up, I felt a small gush of wetness. I called the Dr's. office, they said come in and they would check me out.  So, I went in, the dr's office was connected to the side of the actual hospital.  I put on my paper gown and layed down on the examining table.  I was there a long time,  I might have even fallen asleep for a few minutes.  When the doctor finally came in, I said I think my water might have broke, he totally cracked up!  I had no clue, he said, well you are here to stay, the nurse will take you right into the hospital and get you set up to take the  petossin.

I thought....why is he laughing at me?  As I sat up, the whole paper cover was soaked, I didn't realize it, cause of my size and all, I didn't notice the warm water coming out....no wonder he knew.  I said to the nurse...."I don't have my bag, let me run home and get it!"  She said "honey you're not going anywhere!"  So, I tried to call my husband, he had gone out to the hot springs for the whole day.  This was before cell phones, so the hot springs people went to tell him, he said "I'll come when she is ready!"  How would he know?  This was our first, this was around 3 or 4 in the afternoon....I was getting a bit panicky. I called my secretary at work, she called the hot springs and told them that "they had better get him outta there and on his way to the hospital, or he was going to miss the birth of his child, and if they didn't do it, SHE was gonna come and drag him out of there in front of everyone!"  So he showed up about 1 1/2 hour later.....luckily the baby didn't come for quite a while.

Well, he showed up, and luckily my best friend was a nurse there Marsha Marsha Marsha Bee.  She was awesome, she had just finished a 12 hour shift and came and spent the whole time with me.  Her kids came to say hi, my husband finally showed up, came through, worked the room and then went out to get pizza, (he had had a hard day a the spa mind you!)  So, he and her daughters had a pizza party in the adjoining room.  I was watching "the Johhnny Carson show",  things were progressing well.  That medicine made me so OUCH....I finally asked to get the the big needle, Marsha Marsha Marsha held my hand...cause the hubby hadn't shown up for that part yet.  I wonder how her hand even works today after I crushed it during the needle part.  Labor is hard to explain unless you have gone through that, but, I honestly thought I was gonna die....So Marsha Marsha Marsha RAN to get the dr. so I could get the epidural.

And finally I was ready to deliver....My husband came towards me and screamed "come to me baby, come to me"....it was like something from the "I love Lucy show".... he was an absolute nut case, he started running around the room, I grabbed him by the collar as he whizzed by, and said "Curt you need to calm down!!!"  He didn't .  The doctor came in trying to be very dignified, and serious, but Curt was off his rocker....he would say.... Are you sure you want to do that?  What are the salad tongs for? You're gonna cut where?

Well, finally out popped.....a lovely baby BOY....we were all in shock and laughed, this wasn't what we had expected....but, he was absolutely lovely.  But, as soon as I saw him, I knew he was mine...it didn't matter that he wasn't the promised girl.....That last 5% appendage made him definately all boy.  Curt went with Marsha Marsha Marsha to get him all cleaned up and weighed and measured.  By the time he got back, he had calmed down a bit.....It seems he even said something funny about having "my son, my son!"  They brought the baby boy to me, I don't remember ever being so happy before.  We didn't know what to call him....since we didn't even consider a boy name.

Then the next day, they took Curt and the baby into the room for the circumcision.  I wasn't there, but all the nurses were talking about it to me later, I guess he made a big scene in there too, and when I went in for the baby's first dr. exam......all the nurses said, Oh Mrs. Snarr.....the whole hospital is talking about the way your husband was during your baby's circumcision.....wow....I was so glad I was in the other room!

Well, we brought the baby home and finally after 2 days, I decided on a name:  Daniel Douglas Snarr.  After my brother Dan Garrard, Curt's best friend Dan Dixon, and the Douglas name from his family.

That baby brought me so much joy,  My Mom had just finished his pink quilt the day he was born, so she luckily whipped up another one in blue....

And Daniel is for sure 100% boy.  He has brought so much joy to my life, he is the smartest guy I know, and can do anything.  He makes me proud, I couldn't have asked for a better son.  So, proud of him....and will be sharing stories later of his life, and fun things he has done.  And the best thing of all....well maybe not for him, but he looks just like me.  Being adopted, I never saw anyone that looked like me before, and here was this little minaturized version of me.  We used to go everywhere, do everything together, he has always been a brilliant kid, so thanks Daniel..... I LOVE YOU..... Mom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment