Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ode to Erma Bombeck

For you younger crowd..Erma Bombeck was a newspaper columist quite a few years ago.  She just wrote of her wife/mother life and she was hilarious.  She was a stay at home Mom with two sons and a daughter.  She had the best sense of humor.....and some best seller humorous books about her life, she was syndicated in the newspapers and even had a tv show.  I owned her paperback collection of funny books....I read them in high school.  I admire her sense of humor in everyday life....I'm NOT poetic but I want to live my life with the same enthusiasm as she did....up until the end when she passed away due to cancer.

Going thru a second divorce....I could get all depressed and whine all day "poor me".....but in the example of Erma, I will look for the humor in all I do, work and live.  I sew for a living at home and I work at the movie theatres....and I find life rewarding again.  My daughter Sage and my dog Bowzer live with me, and my son Daniel lives with the ex very close by, and I get to see him at work, he works at the movie theatre too.

We went from a huge home to a tiny little apartment, but we find the joy and humor in that each and every day......I feel like I have started a new clean chapter in life.....a do-over shall we say, and this time I will make better choices in everything.....my goal is to serve others and be happy each and every day!

Good things about that apartment life style:

1.  No housepayment/mortgage.
2.  Easy to clean.
3.  No one telling us what to do, how and when.
4.  Happy feeling when you walk in the door.
5.  Can find things easily...it's all within reach.
6.  Fun neighbors....we all have dogs, cause they are allowed here.
7.  I know my neighbors by their dog names....Lulu, Figi, Bowzer upstairs, Wallie, Juno, and more.
8.  Pooping the dog is a social event.
9.  Our apartment complex is brand new with a beautiful pool/hot tub opening soon!!!!
10. Grocery, movies, Target, Hobby Lobby, gas station & Trax.... all literally 5 minutes away....and church around the corner.

So, as I tell of my ins and outs or everyday life....it will be with a sense of humor and an appreciation for life in general....thanks again Erma Bombeck.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Cindy...you're positive outlook on life touched me on a daily basis when we were in college. You're great! And I miss those "sew sew" dresses too. Here's a memorable Erma Bombeck quote: "If you can't make it better...laugh at it."

    ReplyDelete